Monday, August 16, 2010

Is Google Evil?


For some time now I've been following and supporting the concept of Net Neutrality, specifically through SavetheInternet.com. Computers and the internet are an integral part of my life. Chris and I both use the internet countless times a day to plan trips, keep in touch with each other, keep in touch with our friends and just generally keep our lives in sync. Knowing this, keeping it open, maintaining the internet as internationally neutral ground without interference or restrictions of our participation is very important to me.

When I say that we use the internet to keep our lives in sync, I am not kidding, but not just the internet specifically Google. In fact I used no less than four Google services to write this post. Here are all of the Google services that we use on an almost daily basis:
  • Blogger
  • Email
  • Calendar
  • Contacts
  • Docs
  • Spreadsheets
  • Voice
  • Picasa
  • Translator
  • You Tube
  • Maps
  • Chrome
  • iGoogle
  • Images
  • Froogle
  • Reader
Yeah, it's a long list.

I've been a fan of Google for years, I've enjoyed seeing them set new standards and push the envelope in the technology race. I've also always admired their commitment to open source and the concept that the internet is a living organism that is kept alive by everyone that contributes.

It was based on this theory and history of action that I allowed my life to become so entrenched in Google and their services. I have even tried several times to obtain employment with Google.

So, you can imagine the great confusion and a sense of betrayal I felt when I read this article in MacWorld that Chris forwarded to me. The story was first broken by the NY Times and when it comes down to it every other story is just providing opinions about the original Story. The only new information I can find is at The Guardian and even then it's a tiny little quote that doesn't help.

So, I've been researching, trying to learn more. Honestly, hoping to find a shred of proof that Google is the decent company I thought it was. Because if I can't, if I fail to find anything otherwise, then I will be forced to extract myself and my life from Google and it will not be an easy, pretty break up... :(

Has anyone heard anything? Know of any resources where I can learn more?

Update @ 10:00pm - I found a Google Public Policy Blog that I will look over tomorrow. Hopefully it will hold some answers.

No comments: